Guitar Lessons | Drum Lessons, Electric Bass Lessons, Ukulele Lessons | Aural Lessons, Theory Lessons, Jazz Improvisation Lessons, HSC Music Exam Preparation, Skype Lessons
- Qualifications: Bachelor of Music, Master of Teaching, Cert 3 Orff Schulwerk
- Pricing: $42 half hour
- Styles: classical, flamenco, ragtime, blues
- Suitability: From 5 years old. Beginner to Grade 8 AMEB
- 1978- Studied classical guitar with Bob Oort (http://www.users.bigpond.com/boboort/)
- 1983 Started playing bass professionally in bands in Sydney.
- Studied musicianship at the NSW Conservatorium of Music in Sydney.
- 1986 Bachelor of Music degree, studying performance on electric and double bass at the Rubin Academy of Music and Dance in Jerusalem, Israel.
- Became involved in Israeli and Jewish music, performing in wedding bands and tourist show bands, including international tours.
- 1989 Started to give guitar lessons, as well as directing youth bands in an after-school music centre.
- 1994 Returned to Australia
- 1994 – present – Regular gigs playing in RSL and sports clubs, mostly covers bands and rock and roll bands (playing double bass)
- 1997 Completed the Master of Teaching Degree, University of Sydney
- 1997 to present – Classroom music teaching in both secondary and primary schools, whilst continuing to teach guitar part-time.
- 2002, Completed Level 1 of the Australian Kodaly Certificate in Music Education.
- 2009 Completed Level 3 of the Orff Schulwerk Music and Movement Teacher Certification Course.
- 2014 Completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Special Education.
- 2017 Completed Suzuki Teacher training Cert III.
With over 30 years of experience teaching guitar and bass, and formal music and teaching qualifications, the benefits of learning to play guitar and bass with me include:
- 20 minute lessons for 5 to 7 year olds for just $38.
- A huge repertoire of guitar favourites to learn.
- Essential knowledge and technique to play well.
- A focus on classical guitar technique to start.
- Exposure to a variety of guitar playing styles and techniques, including fingerpicking, flat-picking, classical, folk, rock, blues, jazz, flamenco, and latin.
- Individual programs structured for each student, based on their age, learning level and tastes in music styles. Each program is reflected on after ten lessons, providing students with written feedback, and aims and objectives for the next ten lessons.
- Recitals held twice a year, performing to parents, friends and other students.
- Competitive rates.
- Free downloads of music from my website.
I've been learning guitar with Simon for 2 years now. Having these lessons has expanded my skills quickly, as well as introducing different jazz styles and techniques that I never thought I would enjoy as much as I do. I would recommend him to anyone new to any style of guitar.
Adam Seage (age 16)
"Our son has been learning acoustic guitar with Simon for 6 months, and is thoroughly enjoying the sessions. Tom has been taught a good mix of technical exercises and popular songs. Simon is able to impart his musical knowledge in a way that inspires Tom practise daily without needing to be reminded!"
My son Matthew Hoskins started guitar lessons with Simon Costa in the year 2005. He started learning on the acoustic guitar and then moved on to electric guitar. We have stayed with Simon this whole time as Matt was constantly learning new and diverse talents with both types of guitar. Matt has always felt very comfortable with Simon and Simon has always encouraged, supported and brought out the best in Matt. Matt shows a great confidence whilst playing guitar which has helped him in other aspects of his life that he did not have before as a very quiet and shy boy. I would highly recommend Simon to anyone who is looking for a guitar teacher for his or her child or self