Online lessons from Berowra Heights NSW, Australia
Drum Lessons | Online Lessons
- Qualifications: B.Mus and a PhD in Jazz Drumset Performance Studies
- Pricing: 120/hr
- Styles: All styles
- Suitability: All ages
Learn to grow musically by establishing an effective, regular practise routine with Dave’s help. Dave draws from over twenty years of teaching experience from previous appointments at prominent institutions such as Sydney Conservatorium of Music, and offers private drum lessons exclusively over the Zoom online platform from his studio in Berowra Heights on Sydney’s Upper North Shore – so you can learn from Dave you wherever in the world you reside.
- As your specific needs and wants are entirely different from those of anyone else’s, enjoy the benefits of of learner-centred, self-determined learning, and progress toward what you want to learn in addition to what Dave determines you need to learn in a course comprising hundreds of subjects
- Learn and develop technique, musicianship, repertoire, improvisation, history, aural skills, sight reading, coordination, general knowledge, and more. All aimed at giving you the best chance at being the best drummer you can be as an ensemble player, and as a soloist – no matter your preferred style
- Dave only offers regular weekly lessons in 10-week terms for four terms per year. All lessons are exclusively online using the Zoom platform. Learn on your own drums in your own home
- Lessons are 60 minutes for all students @ $120 ($109.09 / hr + 10% GST)
- See full Studio Policy (opens in new window)
"Dave taught my son for over 18 months after a recommendation from John Morrison. Not only is he a master drummer but a wonderful teacher who inspired my son to achieve his dreams. He has a tremendous ability to make others believe in their ability. You would not find a better drum educator."
D. Brown, Sydney, Australia
"Having been exposed to a wide range of learning experiences and situations since my early teenage years, I think it is safe to say that a musician/educator like Dave Goodman is something of a rarity in the Australian music education sector. I studied the drums with Dave during my earlier formative years as a musician. These opportunities provided me with an invaluable source of base knowledge about the drumset and rhythm in general. It also played the role of a bigger, deeply stimulating catalyst for confirming my journey into a musical career. Such an influence can only come from an individual that has amassed a deep well of experience in their chosen field, as well as an all-pervading passion for one’s instrument."
Jodie Michael, Sydney, Australia (Winner of the Jann Rutherford Memorial Award Scholarship)
"Dave Goodman has been an invaluable source of knowledge and inspiration since I first received his tuition in 2009. His eloquent and insightful instruction on the technical aspects of drumming as well as his immensely serious and positive outlook on the world of music has, and continues to nurture my growth as a drummer and musician. After my first lesson with Dave it became evident that he was an exceptionally thorough and experienced musician. I was blown away by his knowledge of the Free Stroke and Moeller Techniques and was even more exited to learn that he had spent time studying with technical pioneers Joe Morello and Jim Chapin. Dave’s clear instruction and demonstration allowed me to transform my hand technique. It was also during Dave’s tuition that I became exposed to his highly infectious attitude towards the Drum set and music in general. To every question asked there was a carefully formulated response that, as well as entirely eradicating any glimmer of confusion, encouraged me to investigate the issue further and come to my own understanding. Dave has always used a positive attitude and enthusiasm to guide my learning and always encouraged me to listen to a wide variety of music both inside and outside the realm of Jazz. Dave also spent time with me in preparation for my audition for the Con. His instruction on how to best follow the audition criteria and his teaching of aural skills necessary for the Jazz Aptitude test lead me to a successful audition in 2011."
Oli Nelson, Sydney, Australia (Winner of the James Morrison Scholarship)
"Dave, we can't thank you enough for the exceptionally high standard of teaching and enormous inspiration you have offered Finn over the past couple of years. His drumming technique and musicology has improved exponentially resulting in outstanding HSC music practical and theory results. What excites us most is his passionate desire to pursue a musical career. He has been very fortunate to have you has his mentor and looks forward to continuing his lessons."